Monday, August 22, 2011

The Curse of the Black Spot

I liked this episode but I didn't love it. I felt the whole thing was a study in repetitiveness. The Doctor continuously saying forget my theories up to this point. The Captain explaining that a sip is a ship. Rory dying...
...again. Not to mention that while I obviously don't want people dying this was yet another Moffet "everybody lives" episode. To summarize.

Something is happening to people that's killing them.It is a bad something. The Doctor tries to figure out what's happening. In the process more people get hurt/affected, sometimes even people he cares about (Anita, Rory). He later realizes that they aren't dead after all (living zombies, living in a computer program, taken on board a spaceship). In fact, the thing that caused the bad thing wasn't bad at all. It was trying to keep them alive. (Nanogenes, the computer saving them from the Vashta Nerada, the mermaid nurse). The Doctor puts everything right. (Gets the nanogenes reprogrammed. Frees everyone from the computer program except those killed by the Vashta Nerada who get to live in there. Gets Rory released to Amy who does CPR, the pirate take over the ship and fly off). Most importantly, "Everybody lives!"

Listen, I love Doctor Who. I though the Gas Mask Zombie episodes and the Library episodes were brilliant. I liked the twist that everybody lives and had he left it at those two I probably wouldn't have noticed quite how similar they are. But then there was this episode, and I realized all the similarities.

Maybe it's because this was a one part, rather than a two part. Maybe it's because this one wasn't actually written by Moffet (though he is head writer so that's why I attribute the basic plot to him). I just don't think this episode was as good as its predecessors.

Quick note, Eyepatch Lady appears again.

Favorite quotes:
"Okay, groovy. So you're just not pirates today — we've managed to bag us a ship with a demon popping in. Very efficient. I mean, if something's going to kill you, it's nice that it drops you a note to remind you."
 "I know you can do this. Of course, if you muck it up, I am going to be really cross. And dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment