Friday, February 8, 2013

Childhood Book Tag

1. What were your favorite books read to you as a child? Why?

Both my parents read to me, but some books stand out a little more than others. Both my parents read me various Magic Treehouse books. I think I stopped right before the book Christmas in Camelot because I remember asking for a copy for Hannukah and being told that it would be better to get some other time. And then I never got around to reading it. My Dad also read me The Chronicles of Narnia series, as well as The Hobbit. My Mom  read me the first few chapters of Harry Potter and Sorcerer's Stone to get me interested and now that's one of my favorite series. 

2. Do you have any special memories or traditions associated with these books?

There was a period of time where I would get up to three bedtime stories. My babysitter would read me a bedtime story, then my Mom would come in a read me a story and then my Dad would come in and read me a story (or something along those lines, the exact line-up is a little fuzzy). I don't remember how aware each of them were that I was getting three bedtime stories, but I loved it.

With my Dad, when he read me Narnia and Hobbit every so often he'd give the book to me and make me read for a while.

Also with Harry Potter, the reason my Mom stopped reading them to me was because I got so into the books that I just started reading them on my own because I wanted to know what happened next. I didn't want to wait for the next night to find out. I also came into the series late (book four had just come out when I started reading them) so I had a lot of catching up to do.

3. What were your favorite books or series when you were old enough to read? Why?

I really loved The Frog Princess series by E.D. Baker. I think this was the start of my love for alternate takes on fairy tales. Similarly, I loved (and still love) The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. I also really liked the book What is the Teacher's Toupee Doing in the Fishtank? by Jerry Piasecki. It was just a really funny book with pranks and heist like actions. I also loved the T*Witches book series. It was about twin witches who were separated at birth. The series starts with them meeting as teens and learning to use their powers. Also Harry Potter 1-5 came out while I was in elementary school, so those count too, right? Ohh! A Series of Unfortunate Events! That's a great series. It's just really funny in weird ways.

4. What was your favorite book character in these?

The Frog Princess - It's been so long since I read the original books (there's a prequel and sequel series now). I guess Emma. Grassina's also great. I think I like her in the latter books a little more. 
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles - Cimorene. Or Kazul. Maybe Trouble. Can I just love all of them?
What is the Teacher's Toupee Doing in the Fishtank? - Mr. Finelli. He was the teacher. This guy was awesome. "[Written on the blackboard]'I've left you all a package on each desk. Can you guess what it is?' [Frankie] 'A TV dinner?' [Blackboard] 'No Frankie, it isn't a TV dinner.'"
T*Witches - Alex. She was awesome.
Harry Potter - Confirming that no one's favorite character from Harry Potter is Harry Potter, Professor McGonagall is my favorite.
A Series of Unfortunate Events - I think the narrator/Lemony Snicket was my favorite honestly.

5. What was your favorite book in a childhood series?

Chamber of Secrets has always been up there for me. Prisoner of Azkaban is pretty high up as well. I guess Calling on Dragons is my favorite in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, but that's only because of the cats. And Killer. All the others are tied for a very close second. The Ersatz Elevator was my favorite for A Series of Unfortunate Events.

6. Did you ever dress up like one from your favorite books?

I'm sure I dressed as Hermione at some point. And if not, I've worn Hogwarts uniform stuff to Wizard Rock concerts, so close enough.

7. Was there a movie adaptation of any of your childhood favorites? If so, did you like it?

Chronicles of Narnia - I only saw the first 2 movies they did but I remember being really impressed by how well they stuck to the book and made a good movie.
The Hobbit - I want the next two parts out now, so I can see them and love them, that's how much I loved the first part.
The Frog Princess - Apparently Disney's The Princess and the Frog was based off of The Frog Princess. I mean, it's mentioned in the credits. Honestly the only thing the two movies have in common is that the girl turns into a frog after kissing the prince, and a swamp is involved. There is literally nothing else the same. I like The Princess and the Frog as a movie, but as a movie adaptation ... I don't know how they can call it an adaptation, honestly. 
T*Witches - Disney made it into a Disney Channel Original movie. It...wasn't great. As a movie OR an adaptation.
Harry Potter - For the most part I've liked the Harry Potter movies. Though I will sometimes rant a little about the stuff that got left out.

8. Have you read any children's series as an adult/teen that you loved? If so, what were they?

I guess the Percy Jackson books count. As do the later Harry Potter books. I think I read Peter and the Starcatchers too, though I don't think I finished that series. Umm, I only this summer read the most recent books in the Princess and the Frog series, so those count too I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment