Monday, February 7, 2011

More Like "My Little Unicorn"

So today I went to "McDonalds" for lunch with a friend (she's actually sort of the reason I'm doing this blog in the first place). I decided that since I was hungry, but not super hungry I would get a "Happy Meal", because, I'm a five year old at heart and I wanted a toy. Any toy. Now when I ordered I was confronted with an interesting question. Is it for a boy or a girl? Now I know that there are gender specific "Happy Meals" (thank you John Green [all of the video is great but the "Happy Meal" stuff starts around :30]) but I decided not to buy into it. This and toy stores divided up into boy toys and girl toys makes me really mad. I asked to be surprised and low and behold, I got a girl toy. BUT THAT'S OKAY!!!!!


The current girl toys are "My Little Pony" toys. Now while I was waiting for my food, I noticed the little display of all the toys. After a discussion about why a "My Little Pony" riding a "Tonka" truck (or is it "Tonka Truck? how much of that is trademarked/copyrighted ect.?) would be epic (it would be the ultimate fusion of femininity and masculinity) I noticed one of the ponies was called "Twilight Sparkle" (you may have noticed a lot of quotation marks. Basically anything I think might be copyrighted or trademarked is getting that). According to the description on the "Happy Meal" box she is (look! an actual quote!) "clever and loves to read!"

Now I choose to believe that the "Twilight" reference was poking fun at the popularity of the book series, I could be wrong. I probably am. Anyway, my friend and I decided that, this pony, being so very clever, didn't read anything by Stephanie Meyer, choosing instead to enjoy Kafka, Austen and the Bronte sisters.

I decided that the suspense must come to an end and decided to finally find out what toy I had. LOW AND BEHOLD! I got "Twilight Sparkle". And I also looked a little more closely at the box and the toy to learn a horrifying fact. This "pony" was actually a unicorn! She had a horn and everything! She is not a pony. She's a freakin' unicorn. (See for yourself)

Now unlike the above mentioned John Green, I like both unicorns and "My Little Ponies" (skip to about 1:45 on that video to see what I mean). However, I don't understand why the tiny pony company doesn't just create a whole side company called My Little Unicorn. They could make double the money!

Anyway, this was seen as pretty awesome by me, and I proceeded to geek out in the "McDonalds" to the horror of my friend. Seriously, people were turning and staring.When I shared the awesomeness with other friends (there was a pedestal to put her on that was also a comb for her tail!) the general reaction was, "that's nice, you can calm down now."

I have decided by the way, that "Twilight Sparkle" is actually her breed, so I have named my unicorn Princess Prettypants. If you don't get the reference take a look at this book (see the book trailer here). Hint: The Meg Cabot story.

One last thing. If you like so see people do really embarrassing things that are related to "My Little Pony" click here. See you real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment