Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Prince's Tale

So I got a copy of The Prince's Tale, Lauren Fairweather's newest CD at the huge Hamden Wrock show on Saturday and I've listened to it many many times in the past few days. I love this CD. I think I like the Lily songs a little better than the Snape songs, Lose You and Mudblood are my favorites so far. I love the sultriness (this might not be the word I'm thinking of but it's the best I can do) of  these songs.This being said the first three songs (two of which are from Snape's POV) and This is it (another Snape song!) are also very high on my list.

My least favorite songs are Worst Memory, Keep Her Safe, and Harry. It's not because they aren't good songs, because they are, I've been singing them all to myself several times this week, but because they are much more "this is what happens in the story" than the others. What I mean by that is this; Lauren has said many times that she was struck by this chapter in particular because she could relate to it so well. In all the other songs on the album there has been some universality to them, that if you changed the Harry Potter specific references would still be a great song. Maybe does a great job of conveying the feeling of being lonely and wanting a friend, Freak does a great job of expressing what it feels like when someone you love shuts you out and doesn't approve and Lose You describes very well the feeling of having a friend who is going down a dark path, a friend who you want to change for the better before you cut them out because it's too painful.

The three songs I mentioned before don't have the same universality to them. Worst Memory pretty much just describes what happened to Snape, there's some ability to relate to the feeling of being bullied but it's very specific to the story. Similarly, Keep Her Safe and Harry tell us what ultimately happened. Each song has parts that are relatable, but overall they are difficult to connect to. As I said, I still love the songs, and most Wrock is very story specific, so it's not like this is a bad thing. I just think the other songs are stronger as songs and Wrock songs, as opposed to these which are really just strong as Wrock songs.

What did you think? Let me know in comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment