Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Definitions

So I've been thinking lately about the way we define ourselves versus how we actually are. For years I was able to read in the car without a problem, even though others in my family couldn't. Recently I've become aware that I might not have this ability anymore. Mostly because I got sick after the drive to the airport to come to school after reading in the car. Yet, because I define myself as someone who can read in the car without a problem I still don't think of myself as someone who gets carsick. Currently I'm blaming the fact that the road leading up to the airport was very bumpy, and have therefore amended my definition of myself to someone who can read in the car as long as it's not bumpy.

A more positive proof of definition failure is that for years I got really puffy and red whenever I cried so that people could tell I'd been crying literally hours after the fact. I still think of myself as someone who gets this way even though I've noticed that it isn't really true anymore (YAY).

The point of all this is that I'm starting university now. I've always thought of myself as a good student, particularly when it comes to math and science. I don't know if this definition is going to hold true for university, but I hope it does. There are somethings about ourselves that must change and somethings we pray never do.

Update: I went to my first class in the middle of writing this and it was awesome! Obviously the first class will be very different in terms of difficulty from say, the final, but so far I'm feeling pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment