Sunday, April 15, 2012

Favorite Quotes

Some of my favorite quotes and why.

"Imaging the future is a kind of nostalgia...You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you'll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present." -Alaska Young Looking for Alaska pg. 54

This quote always resonated with me because I do spend a lot of time thinking about the future and imagining the life I'll have and who I'll be and who I'll be with, but I don't always spend that much time working towards it. I always assume I'll have time for it later. That's why events are always sneaking up on me. I spend so much time looking forward to events and counting down to them that it always takes me by surprise a little bit when said event actually arrives/occurs. And then it's done and I can look back on it. Nostalgia and looking ahead fill so much of my daily life that I do sometimes have to just focus on what is happening.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don't always spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -The Doctor Vincent and the Doctor


I love this quote so much. It's even under my face in my high school year book. I know that I can sometimes act like one bad thing has ruined my entire day, or like one good thing has made up for lots of unpleasant things and in that moment both can be true. But overall each adds to my life. Being sick one day won't suddenly mean that my whole life is terrible, and having everything go my way another day won't change the fact that I've experienced disappointments. But the sorrows give the good times perspective and the good times help to push through the bad. No one's life is just one thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment